Since we are in the mist of a pandemic and a race war I think it’s only necessary if I start highlighting some of my friends and family and if any of you would like to share a story let me know! This story is about my father in law. Dr. Benjamin Laremont. How odd is that medicine met racism and discrimination way back when. Did you think this was possible?
Let’s rewind Dr. Ben was born and raised Panama City, Panama and was 3 of 12 siblings. As a young boy he always had this desire to help people. Mainly because his family and local residents were to poor to afford healthcare. Simple illnesses that we take for granted, that are easily treated often his hit family by storm. After graduating high school, Dr. Ben was awarded a scholarship (Institute of International Education) (IIE) and attended Sterling College in Kansas. After graduating with his Bachelors of Science, Dr. Ben went on to receive his doctor of medicine degree at Maharry Medical School. Following his graduation he attended the University of Illinois School of Medicince where he did his residency and became specialized in Family Medicine. Soon after is when he joined and served the U.S Navy for 2 years and received his U.S citizenship.
During his residency he labored to diagnose and treat and elderly white gentlemen and when he became conscious the patient was shocked and to his disbelief that a black doctor had treated him.Later on that evening, as usual Dr. Ben and the other doctors madetheir rounds in teh hospital. The elederly gentlemen was very shook up and had the opportunity to speak to the head of the doctor. The patients response was “I saw a N***er in my dreams.” The head of the department replied “oh you mean Dr. Laremont.”
In passing Dr. Laremont tried not to make much of it but his thoguhts said ” when you look around and see 6 to 8 people and one of them is black, and that’s you, you don’t need to say or do anything as all eyes are always watching your actions. You can make an issue out of it, however you stand to have more to lose, solely because you are always singled out.” Dr. Benjamin Laremont
Dr. Benjamin Laremont still practices today loving taking care of his patients. He has been married to his devoted wife Dr. Sylvia Laremont and they blissfully have 4 children.
In the middle of a life or death situation racism still prevailed within this mans heart. SO let’s fast forward to today. Answer me this has things changed? I think not as today we are in the middle of a pandemic and a race war. We are still on two sides of the fence fighting for equality. It doesn’t matter how much education, status, white coat, your title you are still black. Still not good enough to save a life or to have equal rights. These past couple of months have been exhausting for the black community but I truly believe we will gain traction this time. I say to everyone who is fighting for equality don’t give up. One day.. one day in the name of Jesus things will be equal.
A few weeks ago it was a normal shoot day for Daniesha and I, when we stumbled upon this sign. I immediately knew that I had to tell this story about my father in law. This sign speaks volumes of how how far we have not come. These past couple of months (which is equivalent to centuries) have been exhausting for the black community. I truly believe we will gain traction this time and start to see something change. I say to everyone who is fighting for equality don’t give up. One day.. one day in the name of Jesus things will be equal.
Shop My Look
xo Happy Fashion Divas.
Hi, ladybugs and fashionistas I swear when I have a baby- and if it’s a girl her nickname will be ladybug! As time passes and the virus lingers – many people are opting to say “F” and return to normal. But what is the new normal? Should we still take precautions or should we be in the mindset of whatever happens-happens? I think that is truly up the individual but I for one will not be living life as I use too. I already can be a pretty germophobic person when it comes to certain things. I already carried hand sanitizer, Lysol wipes all of that with me and I never use to touch the pumps at the gas station. So today I will be sharing where I have been finding my essentials without having to go to the store for these items.
Places to Shop for your Essentials
- Instacart: I decided to try Instacart for the first time. I must admit there are some learning curves. However, I have been ordering for about 6 weeks now and I have been pretty satisfied with the delivery. The app itself is easy to use. Finding products depend on the location of the store you are ordering from. You aren’t able to change the store location- location is based on your delivery location. I honestly prefer the Kroger that is 15 minutes from my house instead of the one that is 5 minutes. However I can’t be that picky in the middle of all this. My shoppers all have been great with texting me via the app if an item is not available or sending me pictures of the items. Although the app says you are unable to add an item after the shopper has started shopping – I have added items and the shopper gladly found it. All shoppers have delivered in a timely fashion and have been pleasant. Now the learning curve is when you are trying to order fruit and vegetables. For example: when it says to select the amount tomatoes it doesn’t mean a bunch (on a vine) it means 1 – single tomato. I messed up and order 1 banana and received 1 banana. Also, don’t forget you will be charged a delivery fee and you must tip your shopper this can add an extra $6-$10 depending on location. If you sign up for the $9 delivery service for a month you will max that out within 2 deliveries trust me its a good deal! My overall experience has been great!
- Sam Club: Offers a pickup service in my area they are not yet on Instacart so I decided to order the items online and pick it up. What I didn’t know was that I would have to go in and pick up my items at the guest services counter. This experience was ok. I can’t give it 5 stars because I waited in my car for 10 minutes after I had selected the “I’m Here” button to notify the employees that I was there and waiting in the loading zone. Upon going in both times my order was ready but you have to bring in your basket for them to load your cart up. You are allowed to designate someone else to pick up your order if need be. If any of your items are not available for pickup they will ship it to you within the next 3-5 days. I will order again only because walking through Costco or Sams can be crazy – after I do that run I need a nap.
- Amazon: As we all know Amazon was probably the first place everyone went shopping when the pandemic broke out and delivery options were pushed out to 3 weeks or longer. Amazon is getting back to normal as I have only had to wait 3 days for my items which is pretty much back to their 2-day shipping. Certain items are still out of stock. However I recently I decided to passion twist my hair and I order hair, accessories, and everything I would need to create this style, and surprisingly I was so pleased! Please with the quality of the hair and my order came within a week instead of 3.
- Pick up Services: Mostly every grocery, clothing stores, restaurants, and other convenient stores are offering pickup services.
As time goes on places are opening up and people are trying to find the new normal. I will be shelling in place for a while until I see the curve declining. I still do not feel comfortable venturing out to heavily populated places without masks, gloves, and sanitizer. I have faith and yes God is still in control but I will do my best to stay siloed a little while longer. oh yes, and a helpful tip, before bringing in your groceries it’s a good idea to wipe all of your items off with Clorox wipes except fruit and veggies. Those can be washed off! How have you been obtaining your essentials?
Outfit During the Rona
Let me give you the details of this outfit. I’m calling my summer vibes with this one. The dress is Giani Bini – purchased this cute little number from Poshmark for $15. My cute high top sneakers are from Justfab – beware the sizing is off so I would size up a whole shoe size but for the price I paid I am not mad. The hat is also from Justfab, and my purse is old from TjMaxx.
#staysafe and fashionably cute! Xo Happy Fashion Divas.
Get The Look:
Dress (similar)| Dress (similar) |Sneakers |Purse (similar) | Hat
How are you ladies doing? It’s been a while as I have been swamped with work (thankful to still be employed) and I’ve been so not motivated! However it’s time to shake it off and get back to the grind. I need to start focusing on my business as I have let that fall by the wayside. I told you all in a previous post that I would share more about ‘More Than A Girl Boss’ I totally have not forgotten just give me the time to dive deep and fully explain all the goods and goodies of what that is. However today’s post is all about what to wear during this pandemic.
I am so tired of reading, hearing about the number of deaths from the previous day, and new case stats. The truth is there’s no escaping it it’s all around us and silent. But guess what that isn’t going to stop me from being cute and comfortable inside the house. For the record I do live in Georgia and yes this state has pretty much fully reopened – but I plan to ride this wave from my couch. Let me know if you would like a list of how I have been getting by without going to the stores to still receive all my essentials!
Let’s dive into these good ole lounge outfits.
- New York and Company: We all know that this is my favorite store and I am constantly ranting and raving about their clothes. Yes, it’s true even their loungewear, sweats, house dresses are amazing and comfortable. From matching linen outfits to cute screen tee tanks that will have you making a statement without speaking. Here’s where you may find all the NY goodies.
- Zara: Zara has always been a favorite of mine but that doesn’t mean I always could afford it. However, over the years I have become more of a savvy economical shopper and I am forever looking for a good deal. Believe it or not, Zara has amazing sales and they are always updated they special price sections weekly. Zara quality is A-Mazing! and will disappoint neither will their loungewear. They offer fine knits, t-shirts, shorts that are all cute and comfy. Some of their loungewear looks more like I’m ready to go! Click here to find Zara lounge options.
- ASOS: Another one of my foveate places to shop! The best thing about ASOS is that they have multiple brands to meet your every day, work, and lounge styles. From name brand to off-brand you will always be on-trend. Check out some of their loungewear here.
Okay if you didn’t guess it already, my Outfit is from. Drum roll, please…..New York & Company and ASOS. Let’s start off with my footwork since this was my birthday gift form my hubby. Sooo.. most of you all know I had surgery on my foot, so treating my feet have been on my top priority list. I have been purchasing more flats, and sneakers to dress my looks up and down. Hey, whoever said you couldn’t wear sneakers with dresses? These are the Nike Air Max – Tailwind. I wanted some funky, crazy, cool with a pop of color. these shoes are super comfortable (well they better have been for that price)! I love how this stripe cotton dress matches with these sneakers. Perfect for spring and summer for that get up and go – nowhere days… Like I said I will not be partaking in the malls, nails, hair, bowing, movie theaters, and Yes I can still praise and call on the lord from home – you will NOT catch me in anybody’s church. I love this croc backpack from Justfab that converts to a side satchel, backpack, and or regular handbag. I love it, I’ve been toting it everywhere around the house (lol).
So how have yawl been staying fashionably cute on the inside? Please please stay safe fashionistas this too shall pass!
XO Happy Fashion Divas!
Get The Look:
Dress (similar)| Dress (similar)| Dress(similar)| Sneakers | Backpack
FYI: I Just realized that my dress is sold out I’ve only had it for a week! I have linked similar ones.