Since we are in the mist of a pandemic and a race war I think it’s only necessary if I start highlighting some of my friends and family and if any of you would like to share a story let me know! This story is about my father in law. Dr. Benjamin Laremont. How odd is that medicine met racism and discrimination way back when. Did you think this was possible?
Let’s rewind Dr. Ben was born and raised Panama City, Panama and was 3 of 12 siblings. As a young boy he always had this desire to help people. Mainly because his family and local residents were to poor to afford healthcare. Simple illnesses that we take for granted, that are easily treated often his hit family by storm. After graduating high school, Dr. Ben was awarded a scholarship (Institute of International Education) (IIE) and attended Sterling College in Kansas. After graduating with his Bachelors of Science, Dr. Ben went on to receive his doctor of medicine degree at Maharry Medical School. Following his graduation he attended the University of Illinois School of Medicince where he did his residency and became specialized in Family Medicine. Soon after is when he joined and served the U.S Navy for 2 years and received his U.S citizenship.
During his residency he labored to diagnose and treat and elderly white gentlemen and when he became conscious the patient was shocked and to his disbelief that a black doctor had treated him.Later on that evening, as usual Dr. Ben and the other doctors madetheir rounds in teh hospital. The elederly gentlemen was very shook up and had the opportunity to speak to the head of the doctor. The patients response was “I saw a N***er in my dreams.” The head of the department replied “oh you mean Dr. Laremont.”
In passing Dr. Laremont tried not to make much of it but his thoguhts said ” when you look around and see 6 to 8 people and one of them is black, and that’s you, you don’t need to say or do anything as all eyes are always watching your actions. You can make an issue out of it, however you stand to have more to lose, solely because you are always singled out.” Dr. Benjamin Laremont
Dr. Benjamin Laremont still practices today loving taking care of his patients. He has been married to his devoted wife Dr. Sylvia Laremont and they blissfully have 4 children.
In the middle of a life or death situation racism still prevailed within this mans heart. SO let’s fast forward to today. Answer me this has things changed? I think not as today we are in the middle of a pandemic and a race war. We are still on two sides of the fence fighting for equality. It doesn’t matter how much education, status, white coat, your title you are still black. Still not good enough to save a life or to have equal rights. These past couple of months have been exhausting for the black community but I truly believe we will gain traction this time. I say to everyone who is fighting for equality don’t give up. One day.. one day in the name of Jesus things will be equal.
A few weeks ago it was a normal shoot day for Daniesha and I, when we stumbled upon this sign. I immediately knew that I had to tell this story about my father in law. This sign speaks volumes of how how far we have not come. These past couple of months (which is equivalent to centuries) have been exhausting for the black community. I truly believe we will gain traction this time and start to see something change. I say to everyone who is fighting for equality don’t give up. One day.. one day in the name of Jesus things will be equal.
Shop My Look
xo Happy Fashion Divas.
Hey divas, do you remember last week when I took an old outfit and showed you how to wear it 3 ways. Well, I’ve done it again except this time this is staples that you should have in your wardrobe. No need to buy anything just take a dive into your closet and make several outfits out of 1. I am beginning to like these blogs 1 outfit styled in different ways.
Items You will need
Please keep in mind what’s in your wardrobe of course will differ from what’s in mine. Don’t be afraid to live on the edge a bit by switching up the colors or using a vest instead of a dress.
- Pants – skinny, cropped, wide-leg any of these will work
- Basic tank top – any color of your choice that matches your outfit. No lie I need help with getting more basic any my closet, anyone wants to help me 🙂 I tend to buy prints or non-basics. Ughhh I know I will do better.
- Shirt dress – you can easily switch this up with a long sleeveless vest that button
- Shoes – I chose sneakers and heels. However you can use flats, or a low heel depends on your style.
Outfit 1: Casual Chic
This outfit can take you through spring, fall, and even winter. Simply throw on a turtleneck or a sweater underneath and bam! However, since we are rolling in hot summer weather, we are keeping in jazzy with this olive green and cream zebra print Antonion Melani shirt dress. The dress offers buttons and a belt. I switched out the original belt tot his textured raffia belt to add character. I paired this dress with a pair of skinny Michael Kors jeans and some high top sneakers and a purse from JustFab. I added some cool tropical bird earrings from Kisha Rose Treasures and a pair of shades. This gave me the cool-casual effortless look. I am ready to hit the streets.
Outfit 2: lunch with the girls
Now, remove those pants, unbutton the dress, slip on a tank. I choose this gold knit tank from NY & Company from the Eva Mendes Collection. This added a bit of color but also matched with my heels and bag. I slipped on these high waisted white shorts to give a flirty and fun look to the outfit. For my accessories, I chose these heels that matched with this look, a straw bag, and of course a cool pair of shades.
Outfit 3: Date Night
Date Night with my Mr. calls for legs out and heels. Button up that shirt dress belt it and put on those heels. This look is perfect for a summer date night over a light salad and a fruity drink. Well, that’s just me. This look called for no extra pieces, simply remove the shorts and tank and you are ready to go!
You can simply do this with multiple pieces in your closet. Have you tried it? If so let me know what and how you styled it? Send me pictures I would love to share.
If you love this post subscribe to my blog for all the latest updates!
xo Happy Fashion Divas
Hey Divas, last week I mentioned how God was testing me. It’s by no mistake when this happens. Whew boy is he not only testing me but seriously pushing me to look at myself to grow. I swear this quarantine Pandemic Coronavirus of 2020 has shown me some ugly truths about myself and my past. I say ugly but I truly mean deep-rooted issues that I had no idea even existed. I am honestly happy that God is showing me these things because it allows me to change now before I allow these things to affect my marriage and future children.
I like to call this season a cleansing of the soul and a renewing of the spirit. Today’s meditation scripture comes from Pslams 51:10 “Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.” Have you ever heard your parents or a wise elder say be careful what you wish for… Well, I must say I had been praying this prayer and here I am now. God is truly working on me and I know I have a long way to go but during this time I have been finding myself praising and understanding more about myself and things that didn’t make sense before are now. I have learned that I have full control over my mind body and spirit. I choose to allow God to guide me through this thing we call life.
For that, I am pleased with the journey that I am on. Has God been cleansing your soul or renewing your spirit? I would love to know so let’s chat! Have a good Monday and stay focused.
Want to shop my look? Of course, are you following me on Like To Know it? If not follow me here at Emanees Closet. I love mixing old and new pieces together. it creates a timeless effect to my outfits. Let’s start form the top. My headwrap is form Etsy however I was lucky to find left over scraps to act as this head wrap but if you are looking for some really great quality ones you can shop my girl Juanitas Bold looks and Headwraps here. My blouse is this loving laser cut linen blouse form Zara. Here is the exact link and it’s on sale so go shop it now! If not I will leave a similar linked below. my pants are form Poshmark and the shoes are DSW Sam Edelman brand. Of course my purse if from JustFab and they still have this style in stock. Tahnats it. I mixed old with new for this lovely playful simple look.
Happy Monday xo happy fashion
Friday’s are for winding down, chilling out wrapping up the long week you had. We will keep it light and simple for today’s blog. First off let me pat myself on the back for writing 5 blogs this week and staying consistent. Shout out to my girl Daniesha for putting me up to the challenge… I di it now let’s make a habit out of it.
Speaking of keeping it simple and light most of you know I love to eat. I eat just about anything… well there’s something on my list that I don’t enjoy, however, fruit is at the top of my list. So why not start your day off with a wonderful fruit smoothie. I love drinking smoothies in the morning 1 because they are light, tasty, healthy, and give me a boost of energy.
Pick Your Ingredients
- 1/4 cup strawberries
- 1/4 cup of banans
- 1/4 cup pineapple
- spinach – I just throw some in there
- 1/2 cup of almond milk/soy milk vanilla flavored
- 1/2 cup of ice
- splash of apple juice or any type of fruit juice you like (optional)
- 1/4 cup of frozen yogurt (optional)
- Ice I like my smoothies sometimes chunky and the ice does the trick
- You may add protein or fiber supplements if you like.
Blend It Up
You may use frozen or fresh fruit. I like to use fresh as freezing fruits and vegetables sometimes the nutritional value is a loss. Now here’s the fun part put all your ingredients in the blender. Run your blender for a good minute to make sure everything is blended together. This recipe is for 1 serving double the servings to make more.
That’s it or into your favorite cup or I like to be boujee and our it into a glass mug with a metal straw this way each sip is cold! Now, this is how you start your weekend off right! Enjoy and let me know what smoothies you love to drink.
Did you think I would forget to give you all some details on my fun weekend outfit? I threw this outfit together pairing this fund colors blouse that can be worn tucked in our out or even tied in the front for a crop top illusion. These pink shorts – get used to them cause they are one of my favorite pairs. They are comfortable and give you a cute weekend look. You have seen these platform Michael Kors sneakers that I scored from Poshmark for $30. I’m telling you’ll don’t sleep on Poshmark it will get you right! That’s it – what fun outfits are you wearing this weekend?
Don’t forget you may shop my looks
Do you ever style pieces in your closet differently? I sure do. Today I am taking a flashback outfit and showing you how I styled it differently this year. Turn last years season fashion into a “hey is that a new outfit”.
Pick Your Outfit
I like to start off with matching outfits and see how many combinations I can get out of two pieces. I decided to go with this top and pants combo. The first look is with both matching pieces. I decided to dress this look up last year for a dat night with the hubby.
Separate Your Pieces
Decided if you want to dress each piece up or down. Let’s start off with the top first. Top are usually easy to dress up or down, but for this look I decided to pair this with a pair of wide leg crop jeans and sneakers. Take a more dressy blouse and pairing it with sneakers and jeans will always do the trick. You can’t go wrong with this look.
Lastly I styled the pants with a basic tank and my pink block heels. this look is so effortless but looks so well put together. You can even throw a blazer on top and wear this work or an event.
This one outfit can easily turn into 10. you only need a few sets to mix and match with th clothes you already have in your wardrobe. I like to play off colors, my desired style and of course my mood for the day. Let me know how you mix and match the clothes in your closet.
Don’t forge to shop my looks!
I am so glad you are here! I wanted to welcome you to my newly updated blog. Let me take a moment and introduce myself. my Name is Ayesha Emanee. I am originally from San Diego California, however, I am living the Georgia Peach life now. Below are some facts that will help you get to know me.
- I am the youngest of 5 but I am the oldest at heart
- I have 2 degrees, my bachelors, in Marketing and an MBA in marketing & Technology
- I am a proud HBCU Alumni can you guess from where… I won’t send you on a goose hunt. I am always Behlding that Green and Gold from Norfolk State University. I received my MBA from Capella University
- I am classy on the outside but hood on the inside.. at least this is what my friends tell me. I like to think of it as.. I know how to present myself in public ut when I’m with my kinfolk I am the life of the party.
- I love to eat… when I tell you food makes me happy – I am totally a fat on the inside you’ll just see it yet.
- My favorite foods consist of Mexican and Soul Food. I honestly invented Taco Tuesday
- I love to be creative. My creativity is best expressed with my fashion, hair, and art.
- A pet peeve of mine is when people bite the fork when eating. Ouch doesn’t that hurt?
- I love warm weather, I am always operation stay warm. I only love the cold weather to dress on my coast and boots.
- I am such a family person, I literally have to talk to my family every day. Also, I go hard for my friends. Once I deem you as a friend/family I don’t play, I am I will always tell you the right thing to do… Isn’ t that what friends are for?
- I am Married to an amazing man named Benjamin. HE keeps me rooted and grounded.. cause like I said I’m the life of the party
- My Faith for Christ, if you don’t catch me singing his praises I often can be found doing mini-sermons at home… Seriously ask my family… I’ll turn a rap song into a sermon.
- Some of my favorite artists are Druhill, Tupac.Isaac Carree. Okay too many to list cause honestly I rock out to what is now considered old school 90’s and early 2000. However, I grew up on of course Michael Jackson, Motown you know that good soul music that makes you wanna STOMP!
- I love traveling although I don’t like to travel alone… Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to get around to many places internationally but once COVID leaves us alone whos with me!?
- I love learning new cultures, exploring new places, eating new foods, and being in the now.
I started this blog back in 2015 when I had lost my job. My husband told me to use this as motivation and share with people the things you love. Originally this was a hair blog that turned into fashion and honestly, You will start seeing hair tutorial and food recipes. Why cause you’ll my friends and readers are hungry just like me! Emanee’s Closet is a place for me to share my stories, my inspiration for my outfit of the day, and to have downright girl talk. I am an open book learning and growing along the way.
I am starting an online store “More Than A Girl Boss” that will consist of motivational T-shirt and accessories. Make sure you are subscribed to get all the updates on the launch date and new blog post.
Feel free to always shop my looks by following me on the LikeToKnowIt app here.
Xo Happy Fashion Divas
Shop My Look
Hi loves it’s Monday and I’m back to the grind… at home that is. Let’s be real this pandemic is making everyone rethink how we love daily. From grocery shopping, communicating and working. If you are unable to work from home during this time. My prayers are with you daily and praying that you are extra safe. If you are able to work from home I have 5 helpful tips for you not to loose your mind!
- Have a dedicated work space: I’ve been working from home for 2 weeks now and when I went into work for the last time it was empty. My husband told me to grab everything I possibly could since we didn’t know how long this would last. My husband being the engineer that he is made us a work station in the basement that allows natural light to shine through several windows for fresh air and enough space for me to get up stretch and sing and dance. Just enough to annoy him. Hey I have to stay positive.
- Create a to do list: honestly I can’t remember the app that allows me to write my to do list where I can check it off and it sends me alerts. If you know of a good one please send. I currently use my calendar and my notebook. I sometimes like to old school it. Hey ima till efficient. The to do list will keep your assignments in line.
- Take Breaks: this is major. When you work from home you are less likely to take a break. Why? Because you are trying to always look like your online and the computer is constantly staring at you…saying hey check your email… hey you’re at home you can finish that project.
- Plan meals in advanced: you all know I already meal prep but no lie my meal prepping has stopped. I’ve been making sandwiches and eating left overs for lunch. However I purchased all my meal preparation items so I am about to get back to it. Stay tuned for some healthy meal prep recipes. Please make sure you are staying hydrated. Water is key and so Andre healthy snacks.
- Set a routine: my routine has gotten off now that I have a few extra minutes to sleep in. However I’ve been getting up getting dressed making breakfast and at it by 8am. I try to log off by 4:30 as I normally would if I were in the office.
Do you have any work from home tips? If so let me know. Let’s get into this outfit that won’t be seen until all this over.
We are headed into April my birthday month and the cool air still tickles my cheeks in the morning. And then bam it’s blazing hot. We are still in that in between stage. This outfit is perfect for those cool morning and warm afternoons.
This crochet beaded high neck balloon sleeve blouse is perfect. I love the details and the glam it provides this entire outfit. I paired it with my high waisted pink wide leg pants. I added a simple straw striped open toed heels. Add a simple bag and you are ready to steal the show. I wore this with my sneakers to be comfortable and it looked fly what do you think?
Stay safe and fashionable at home. Xo happy fashion divas.
Get the look:
Sweater 1 similar| sweater 2 similar| Pants 1 similar |Pants 2 similar |
Hey beautiful lady bugs. Fun fact did you know lady bugs and giraffes are some of my favorite insects and mammals. Random I k ow however this is lady bug season aka spring. Unfortunately right now we truly can’t enjoy Gods creation. No worries I am truly finding ways to reflect on Gods promises.
Nahum 1:7 The Lord is good, a refuge in times of trouble. He cares for those who trust in him
I am currently working from home and working harder than ever before. This is not my first time working from home however the anxiety that COVID-19 has caused has made this expert so much different. Below are a few things to do during this time.
- Pray: praying has been so therapeutic for me. As I will never truly know why God does certain things. But this is not for me to question but to be still and listen.
- Take a walk: many parks have closed down here in Georgia but taking a walk in your neighborhood will suffice. Make sure to get some fresh air.
- Spring clean: yaull are about to see some winter stuff on my Poshmark! There’s so much I didn’t wear that has got to go. Make sure to follow me as I do another closet clear out!
- Read a book: when was the last time you picked up a good book and read the entire book? It’s been about 10 years for me which is sad. I used to be a book some. Now is the time to get back on it. I am taking recommendations.
- Write out your goals: as things has shifted. Write out some of your goals you would like to accomplish when this is all over.
- Educate yourself: learn something new. There’s tons of feee classes online, YouTube and other sites.
- Home projects: finish up those home remodeling or those small projects you been meaning to get too.
- Rest: lord knows we all need some rest.
- Take up a new hobby/ workout: I used to paint, I think I may start doing that again. Just because the gym is closed that doesn’t mean you can’t workout at home.
- Remain Calm!: this too shall pass
I hope these tips have been helpful. Now let’s get into this outfit. Oh yes and just because we are stuck inside that doesn’t mean you can’t be cute. Im sorry but I’ve always had a hard time being in the House in sweats or my pjs. Now don’t get me wrong when I am chilling I like to say I have fashionable lounge wear. I can’t apologize, it’s just the diva in me.
I am totally loving color and textures right now. My crochet sweater offers a ton of texture with is peplum and flower knot details. This was on clearance at Zara last season. However you can find this sweater on Poshmark or I will leave some similar selections below. My jeans- yaull have been going crazy about these beauties and yes I snagged them for $20 at Fabrik. They are still on sale but with limited sizes left. No worries distressed jeans are totally in right now. These cute cheetah print separate another fab find from Fabrik snagged these on super sale for $24. Espadrilles. I threw on a cute straw bag and my Betsey Johnson cat eye shades and I’m out… or should I say I’m in?
Stay safe and as always xoxo happy fashion!
Get the look:
Knit sweater 1 | knit sweater 2
Jeans 1 similar | jeans similar 2
Bag 1 | Bag 2
Hey divas! Can you believe that July is almost over? Thats right and one of my favorite months is coming up.. Cough Ouch August.. Why? Because it’s the month I was married. This year will make 2 years.. whoot whoot! Not only will I be celebrating my anniversary but my sister will be getting married this coming Sunday. We making magic in August. So with that being said you know i will be blogging the fun road trip form Atlanta to Virginia.. and all of the wedding madness.. you know all the good stuff.
Since it’s Monday it’s time for a little bit of Faith & Fashion.
“Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.” John 15: 20 KJV
Do you remember the day when you could stay up late, party hard and wake up early? Don’t get me wrong I’m not that old yet, however I definitely have no desire to do any of that anymore lol. SO my routine looked a little bit like this… IN COLLEGE!
- Wake up early
- eat breakfast
- go to class/or work depending on the day
- have study sessions in between classes/ or tutoring sessions on weekends
- attend praise dance practice on Wednesdays..
- THURSDAY-SUNDAY….. is now a blur ahhaha
- okay seriously thought I still had class but sometimes the party would start on Thursday’s and wouldn’t end till Sunday.. not that same party of course but there was always a party.. either a campus party. your bff’s dorm room party.. a Frat/Sorority party… you know the party that homeboy that his ex girlfriends grandmas house which is right around the corner house party.. The all white party.. the shorty short party.. okay okay you get the picture.. So what can I say I had fun. Well to be honest my sister and I and Bff were always the designated driver because we had a car so we were known as the sober girls.. lol
- Stayed up till 2 studying went to IHOP with the L7’s (a nickname for my crew back in the day)
- Monday=Do it all over again
So this horrible college routine only lasted 1 year and half.. I am proud of that cause that life is rough.. Not healthy and definitely not what my momma was supporting me for. However It didn’t take me too long to realize that there’s more to life, college, and me than this type of lifestyle. Thats when I decided to take hold of my actions and buckle down and let the noise go! Meaning the parties, the people that were toxic, and anything that was spiritually unhealthy!
When I made this ultimate shift in my life I that’s when I could see me against the world. I was no longer friends with friends I thought were my girls.. unnecessary drama broke out because I chose not to party or entertain anything less of my new morals and values. I decided to to take a stand for me and for what God had for me.. Honestly at that time I had no idea what God has for me but i knew it wasn’t this or these people.. So today I can honestly say that when you are not of the world .. the world will be against you and you will always have God standing with you. Yes I can look back and laugh on my wayward college days and nights but I look at it a testament to myself that I couldn’t have come this far without my faith and God! Often to many times we get tangled in the trends, society and what we think we should be doing.. This is clearly called being a follower. We are called to lead and be the light not to live in darkness.
My linen jumpsuit can be found at Fab’rik along with these oh so comfortable black slides. I love a cute kimono it’s perfect for summer days or to throw something over you arms if there’s a cool breeze! Kimonos can be found just about anywhere including Walmart.. yep don’t sleep on Walmart. Head on over to Fab’rik now as these items are still on sale. Are you moving forward in style this year? Today take a stand for you!
Xo Happy Fashion divas
Get The Look:
Jumpsuit | Slides | Hat | Kimono (similar)
Happy Monday Divas! it’s time for some Fish in Fashion motivation for this Monday! I am so tickled right now as I told one of my best friends that I was doing a Boho inspired look for the blog.. the response was what’s boho? Of course I was talking to a man so I had to not be so judgmental. Well If you didn’t know what boho is.. keep on reading!
Today’s motivation strictly is coming form when I was little girl and I had..well my mom had sold all this candy and gift wrap for a school fundraiser. Do yaull remember those fundraisers? and the more you sell you can get those cool neon light up glasses.. some random bike, a walkman or a off brand gameboy.. Okay okay so the prizes were cool and my mom made it a point to try to get me the coolest thing on the list.. a “Camera” well after weeks of selling gift wrap and candy my sells totaled up for me to win the camera.
It was finally the day when we would receive everything that was purchased so we could distribute the items to the buyer and for me to receive all fo my prizes. My grandmother Momma Doris picked me up from.. cough cough elementary school and i was so excited to get to her house and start playing with my new camera.. So bottom line the camera was not in my bag.. My momma Doris called the school.. called the company who as supposed to distribute the camera.. and she called the school again.. everyone kept saying I didn’t sell enough.. My Momma Doris was no push over and if yawl know anything about a black grandmother they will get to the bottom of any issue! Thats exactly what she did. Meanwhile I was to busy crying my eyes out and I’ll never forget so looked at me.. well she snatched me up looked at em dead in my eyes and said stop that crying.. Don’t you ever cry over anything or anyone of this magnitude in life”
Long story short I ended up getting my camera and to this day.. If I have ever cried it was behind closed doors. I’ve been through a lot and it’s only been by the grace of God and those words my grandmother spoke to me as a kid that I have been able to overcome many obstacles. Small or little obstacles come in many different ways. Take this with you today, don’t cry over the smaller stuff there’s always a bigger reward in the end.
Have you ever heard of the 70’s? Coachella..Hippie..free spirited or what I like to say earthy.. Erykah Badu look. Boho is a sale that is looks fitting.. earth tones- with pops of color, peasant like wear, florals to modest prints, lots of embroidery pretty much throwback!
Okay let’s get into this outfit! This Boho 100% cotton dress is from Fab’rik. Yes lately I’ve been loving their stuff. Super cute and chic. This dress is perfect for the hot summer days. Why? because it’s light weight with a small lining underneath, long enough to not get a sun-burn.. and yesssss black people do get sun-burns lol.. Anyways, I paired this lovely long maxi dress with some simple gladiator sandals and this basket earth tone sun hat. My belt bag comes from JustFab and I thought the yellow would be the perfect match for this outfit.. hello whoever brought back the fannie pack definitely knew to bring it back with style!
Happy Monday’s love remember don’t let the small things get you down! Stay in the fight and always push forward!
Get The Look:
Dress | Sandals | Hat| Bag– similar